Tips for Boating in a Storm in Sarasota, FL
Boating can be an incredible experience, but there are also some risk factors that are important to take into account. When you’re out on the water, you never know when the weather might turn bad. In the event that you find yourself boating in a storm in Sarasota, FL, it’s important that you know what to expect and how to handle the situation.
Before you leave the shore, you should always assess weather conditions to determine whether it’s safe to boat or not. Even if skies are clear when you leave, things can quickly take a turn and you might find yourself stuck in a storm if you don’t pay attention to the weather forecast. Still, even when you take all of the necessary precautions, weather is unpredictable.
To make it through boating while it’s storming in Sarasota, FL, here are a few key things you should do:
- Wear life jackets: Everyone on board should be wearing a life jacket, especially if it’s storming. Wearing a life jacket will help you stay afloat in the event that you can’t stay on board the boat, and that allows you to secure valuable time while you wait for a rescue.
- Secure boat cabins: You should shut and latch windows and doors to your boat cabin during a storm. Taking the time to secure your cabin will minimize the risk of flooding and prevent damage to electrical components that are susceptible to water damage.
- Lower your speed: During a storm, some boaters feel the impulse to rush towards the shore. While you should get to shore as quickly as you possibly can, you can’t do this if you’re also risking losing control of your boat. You should maintain a low speed so you can keep steering and balance under control.
- Store loose gear: You don’t want to deal with loose gear and possessions rolling around on the deck while you’re trying to navigate back to shore in a storm. Secure all of your items and gear with straps or by storing them in the cabin of your boat while you ride out the storm.
- Stay calm: When you’re in a stressful situation, staying calm can be very challenging. However, maintaining your composure will also help you think clearly so you can come up with a solution. Remember to breathe deeply and think practically about your situation so you can find the most logical and safest way out of the storm and back to shore.
Safe boating while it’s storming in Sarasota, FL
At Charter Boat Shark, we have decades of experience helping boaters achieve the best experience possible on the water. We provide anglers and boaters of all ages and experience levels with incredible fishing charter experiences in one of the most beautiful places on earth for boating. Regardless of what your specific preferences and needs may be, we are here to ensure you have a wonderful time. Give us a call to learn more about our fishing charters and make your reservation today!
Categorised in: Boating Safety